Women Build has proven to be one of HfH-SCC’s most successful and anticipated build projects. You may be wondering what exactly a Women Build involves. Below is information that we hope will answer any questions you may have about the Women Build program.
- Women Build is Habitat for Humanity’s program for women who want to learn construction skills and build homes and communities.
- Women Build is about providing a “hand-up, not a hand-out” to deserving low-income families in our community.
- Women Build is not about excluding men; it’s about including women.
- Women are often intimidated on a “mixed” construction site; but in the comfortable environment of a Women Build site, they quickly learn construction skills.
- By planning projects where the majority of volunteers are women, Women Build involves more women in Habitat’s construction efforts, thereby increasing the number of houses Habitat can build.
- When women come together in a supportive environment, they feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment and increased self-esteem.
- Women Build brings together women from all walks of life to address the housing crisis facing millions of women and children worldwide.
- No experience is necessary! Only a willingness to learn and work with others.
This year’s major sponsors include PepsiCo, Flexjet and First Preston HT. We need additional financial support for Women Build. We are still looking for a T-shirt sponsor so that every volunteer can take home a memento. Everyone loves a great T-shirt. If you or your organization would like to join them in becoming a sponsor for this home and family, either through funding or in-kind donations of materials or services, you can:
- Give online
- Mail monetary donations to 1400 Summit Ave, Ste D4, Plano, TX 75074
- Contact Development Director Sid Buniff at 972-398-0634 x 104
Lots of planning has been going on behind the scenes for a couple of months now making sure that this Women Build is a meaningful and memorable experience with wonderful volunteers and crew chiefs! There will be plenty of great food, goodies, ice cold Aquafina and Gatorade and PepsiCo products, and the wonderful friendship and spirit that magically happen around our annual Women Build project!
Habitat for Humanity of South Collin County’s 2013 Women Build is set to kickoff Friday, September 6th in the historic Douglass Community of Plano. The day begins with a short ceremony focusing on the Habitat mission, honoring the family and recognizing our sponsors and volunteers. The ceremony ends with our family, sponsors and volunteers driving in the first nails into the new house that will soon empower them to build a brighter future for themselves and their children. Women Build will build every Friday and Saturday through the end of October. All Friday volunteer spots have been filled by our build sponsors. We do have Saturday volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups.
Women Build projects are regularly held by Habitat affiliates across the United States, and by Habitat organizations around the world. Women at these builds have furthered Habitat’s home-building mission by helping to construct more than 1,500 houses.